Since 2006, over 300,000 youth in Northern California and the Central Valley have benefited from life-changing outdoor experiences made possible by grants and special initiatives of the Stewardship Council and Youth Outside.
Tapping the $30 million provided to the Stewardship Council for the youth investment program, these two organizations have collectively awarded more than $13 million in grants to support nearly 200 organizations that positively influence the lives of youth through outdoor activities.
These programs have far reaching impacts ranging from health and fitness, to growth and leadership, to promoting environmental stewardship.
To learn more about the programs funded visit our Grant Awards page.
Grantmaking Goals and Philosophy
The Stewardship Council’s grantmaking program goal was to improve the lives of underserved youth by providing greater access to outdoor experiences, from urban parks in the city to watersheds in the wilderness.The objectives of our grantmaking were as follows:
- Increasing the participation of underserved youth in successful outdoor urban and wilderness programs.
- Improving the cultural relevance of outdoor and park programs to better serve and reflect the diverse youth of California.
- Making the outdoors a more integral part of youth’s lives to improve their general health and well-being.
- Improving the infrastructure of community parks and urban open spaces to make them more accessible and welcoming.
- Supporting coordinated approaches to helping youth get outdoors and to increase their well-being through partnerships among diverse sectors involved in youth development (e.g., health, environmental justice, mental health, education, and juvenile justice).
You can read more in detail about our grantmaking philosophy and the various funds we provided by browsing through our annual grantmaking plans listed below:
2005-2006 Grantmaking Plan
2007 Grantmaking Plan
2008 Grantmaking Plan
2009 Grantmaking Plan
2010 Grantmaking Plan
2011 Grantmaking Plan
Ongoing Grantmaking Programs
For more information about current outdoor youth investment grantmaking programs visit Youth Outside.
Environmental Enhancement Grantmaking Projects
The Stewardship Council‘s Enhancement Projects Grantmaking Program works with qualified organizations to implement environmental enhancement projects across 140,000 acres of PG&E Watershed Lands located primarily within the Sierra Nevada and Cascade ranges. One of the goals of the enhancement program is to provide significant and meaningful conservation and stewardship opportunities for youth on PG&E Watershed Lands.
To learn more about this grantmaking program visit our Enhancement Program page.